Since 1983, Focus on the Family Canada has offered help and encouragement to millions of families as they build their lives on the foundation of Jesus Christ. Consistently named one of the Best Christian Workplaces in Canada, we work hard to respond to the many real issues families face today by providing sound and practical guidance based on Christian principles. Our vision is to see every family transformed by love, vibrant in faith and enduring in hope.
About the Position
We are currently recruiting for a part-time Counsellor to join our counselling team. The position is based out of our head office in Langley, BC, and is eligible for health and dental benefits. For more information about us, please visit FocusOnTheFamily.ca.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide complimentary telephone consultations to callers by appointment. Counselling staff offer an initial assessment of the issues brought by the constituent. They may offer the constituent some possible steps for them to choose to take in order to address the issues they raise. This might include suggesting appropriate resources that may assist the situation, such as books, CDs, broadcasts, etc. They may also include referrals to Network Referral Counsellors who are counsellors across Canada screened by Focus on the Family Canada.
- Maintain records of client contacts in our online database.
- Become aware of and suggest appropriate resources that might address the needs of the constituent (e.g., books, broadcasts, etc.).
- Assist team in evaluating and developing new ministry opportunities and program development (may include attending staff meetings, training, participating in larger agency committees as invited, etc.).
- Assist and/or consult with writers on occasional writing assignments (online and print) to enhance the ministry, as requested.
- Attend staff meetings as requested.
- Pray with callers as appropriate.
- Provide administrative support, as requested.
For primary consideration you must bring the following to this role:
- Strong counselling skills as evidenced by academic preparation and life experience.
- At least a Master’s degree, professional membership in a counselling organization (BCACC, CCPA), plus experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively and articulately using the phone and other electronic media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to work independently when needed.
- Willing and able to work as part of a team, capable of drawing on the strengths and resources of team members and the organization.
- Capable, competent and willing to use technology including the Internet, MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access and Outlook, and other programs as required.
- Personal values align with the Christian family values and faith-based work of Focus on the Family Canada. You must be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintain a courteous, Christlike attitude in dealing with people, and adhere to our Christian Foundations and Standards.
- Background in church or ministry leadership roles with a keen understanding of how denominations and churches function would be considered an asset.
If you’re looking for a place where you can experience a strong sense of belonging and make a positive difference to our well-established, mission-driven charity, this may be the opportunity for you. Focus on the Family Canada offers competitive compensation and benefits, and a supportive, friendly, Christian work environment. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume at FocusOnTheFamily.ca/Employment or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.